Our residents deserve access to affordable housing. As our city changes, none of our residents should be forced into poor living conditions or left without a home.
Helal’s goals for City Council District 32:
- Preserve affordable housing.
- Repeal Urstadt and bring “home rule” for housing laws back to the NYC council, not the state legislature.
- Stop the loss of rent-stabilized and rent-controlled apartments by repealing high income and vacancy decontrol, and take steps to restore the apartments already lost.
- Keep remaining affordable units and preserve Mitchell-Lama and section 8 buildings. When Mitchell-Lama commitments expire, convert those living spaces into rent-stabilized apartments.
- Offer stronger incentives, such as property tax exemptions and abatements, for developers to build affordable housing.
- Create permanent affordability on housing projects through increased tax abatements.
- Reform rent-setting policies in a manner that suits both tenants and landlords.
- Assist small landlords in providing safe and affordable housing.
- Address the separate needs of small landlords and homeowners, and large, multiple homeowners.
- Assist homeowners in reducing costs and avoiding overcharges by educating them on their tax assessments and other bills.
- Help homeowners to pay down city liens and tax bills so they can keep their homes.
- Educate senior homeowners on necessary homeownership tasks and ensure they are not taken advantage of by scam artists.